Tuesday, April 6, 2021
Tuesday, March 23, 2021
Tuesday, March 9, 2021
Wednesday, February 24, 2021
As we get closer to vaccinating our population and building herd immunity, we can begin to dream about travel. To a new location, to see loved ones, or to just not be in your house anymore. My son and I were able to go see my mom last weekend, and the trip out west reminded me of some time tested travel rules.
1. When given a choice of getting on a sooner flight and possibly separating from your luggage, or taking the later flight you've been rebooked on, always ditch the luggage. Clothes are (temporarily) replaceable, the memories of the trip you are headed out on are not. This is even more of a no brainer if you are on your return flight.
2. When your mom offers you snacks for your trip, take them. Especially if they are cookies. Inflight snacks and airport food can never compare.
3. When eating in an unfamiliar restaurant, resist the urge to not order the specialty. More clearly, when you are at a burger restaurant with an extensive draft beer selection, don't order the Cubano sandwich and a margarita. You might think you are picking something "slightly" more healthy, but it rarely tastes better. In our family, this is known as the "don't order fish tacos when nowhere near the ocean" rule.
4. You can take your laptop and other work with you in your carry on, but a fun book is a far better way to enjoy your flight. You might already feel like you have no boundaries between fun and work during WFH, why not take a break? The less brain-y the better. Lately I have been re-reading the Bridgerton series (thanks Netflix).
5. This inexpensive item, known in our family as the "electronic hooka," is in all of our bags. With the hooka you'll only have to find one outlet way behind the bed in the guest room. Also remember a battery for your e-stuff if you are flying. I always forget, but the men in my family never do, thankfully.
6. Compliments are free and priceless at the same time. My son does this effortlessly. The TSA agent's earrings, the flight attendant's mask, and the gate agent's rad hair style all got compliments from him and he received beaming smiles in return. Amazing.
Sunday, February 21, 2021
The Smartless podcast (in general) but specifically the recent episode with Billie Eilish and Finneas O'Connell. Billie Eilish and her brother have enjoyed recent stratospheric success, but I was impressed by how grounded, unpretentious and just plain charming they were. Give it a listen to hear what the young kids are all raving about.
For the Love podcast episode featuring Priyanka Chopra Jonas, Ambition is a Girls Best Friend."Jen and Priyanka dive into why it’s so important to normalize ambition in women and girls, and why putting boots on the ground is crucial to making our dreams a reality." Amen sisters!
The enthusiasm for those ambitious 2021 fitness goals fading? Give Apple Fitness Plus a try. It works on Apple TV, your computer or your iPhone, and connects in a very apple-y way to your Apple Watch. (Clearly our family is all in on the Fruit). If you already use Apple TV or music or a couple of their other subscriptions, you may save some scratch using Apple One. Switching actually cost us less than what we were already paying and got us Apple Fitness Plus. It's an alternative to Peloton (there are treadmill and bike workouts as well as HITT, Core, Yoga, etc), and has inspired my entire family to get off of the couch more, if only to rag on each other about who is ahead on our rings.
Sunday, February 14, 2021